Many women notice that when they become middle-aged, they begin to put on some weight. Each year, it just slowly shows up, and they may not even realize it’s there until they go to put their jeans on and they are snug, or they step on the scale and see it creep to a higher number. As we age, the changes in hormones tend to lead to a weight gain that people are not ready to deal with.
Here are some weight loss lips for middle-aged women:
Keep stress down. Many people overlook the connection between excess weight and the stress they feel, but there is a connection. When you are stressed out, your body releases cortisol, which will lead to weight gain. Be sure to have healthy ways in your life that you can reduce stress, such as meditating, yoga, hiking, etc.
- Become stronger by engaging in regular strength training exercises. The muscle mass will burn more calories and boost your metabolism.
- Do a diet overhaul. Take a good look at your diet and find a few things you can change right away that will lead to big differences. Maybe you need to ax the addiction to sugary drinks from Starbucks, or maybe you need to replace your big evening bowl of ice cream with a healthier choice. Small changes will go a long way toward adding up to big benefits.
- Increase your protein intake, which will help keep you energized and eating less throughout the day. Eat plenty of lean protein, such as tofu, beans, fatty fish, nuts, and eggs.
- Maintain a consistent exercise routine, ensuring that you get at least 150 minutes of moderate intensity aerobic exercise per week (e.g., brisk walking, biking, swimming).
- Keep some healthy snacks around so that when you want something, you can grab those, rather than reaching for high-fat and high-sugar snacks. The healthy snacks will help keep you feeling satisfied.
- Be patient and understand that weight loss takes time. It’s not healthy to lose more than 1-2 pounds per week, so don’t try to lose more. If you lose it a gradual pace it will be healthier and will likely stay off longer.
Middle-aged women may have a few more challenges when it comes to losing weight, but they can certainly be successful at it. With a little extra effort and focusing on the right things, you can reach your weight loss goals. Working with a personal trainer can help you get there even faster. In the Vancouver, Washington area, I have helped many middle-aged women lose weight, and I can help you, too!