Often in my work as a personal trainer, I hear about the diet frustrations that many of my weight loss clients contend with. Up there with the best of them is the frustration surrounding the foods they really love, but feel they cannot enjoy because those food are ‘naughty’ or ‘bad’.
One of the things I am always happy to share with these clients is that there are so many substitutes out there that will keep you from going crazy from “yum deprivation”.
Dieting doesn’t have to mean living on lettuce and cardboard at all. This is what too many people believe, and it’s why too many people crash diet. They cannot keep up with the strictness of the nutritional plan they are following.
Healthy eating is something we need to make a lifestyle thing and here are my healthy and delicious alternatives to those foods we find yummy:
- Drink diet soft drinks instead of regular sugar ones: Soft drinks and sodas are to blame for so much weight gain, and it’s not looking like slowing down any time soon. Just because you’re trying to lose weight though doesn’t mean you have to cut soft drink out of your life altogether. There are plenty of diet soft drinks out there that are sugar free, and you can enjoy them without feeling any guilt, anytime you wish to reach for a soda.
- Wholegrain bread instead of white bread: It’s a lie that you need to cut bread out of your diet altogether if you’re looking to lose weight. Instead of eating white bread which is full of unnecessary calories, opt for wholegrain bread. It has fewer calories, less fat and it’s rich with the nutrients that your body really craves. This wholegrain recommendation also applies to bagels and bread rolls. You don’t have to cut them out altogether!
- Low fat cookies and cakes instead of the calorie-rich ones: Many people get that 3pm lull towards the end of the day when the afternoon is winding down. During this time you may be used to enjoying a cake or cookie, and the good news is you can still do this. Just go for the low fat bakery options. They do exist – you just need to spot them in your cake and cookie aisle at the grocery store.
- Vegetable burgers instead of hamburgers: Sometimes you just feel the need to wolf down a hamburger, and thanks to low-fat veggie burger alternatives, you can – guilt-free! They take a little getting used to, I must admit, but it’s well worth trying them out. Be sure to add a nice serve of salad to your burger for an enjoyable, healthier hamburger alternative.
- “Fake butter” instead of real butter: Sure it tastes a little different, but it’s worth switching from the fatty version to the fake. The big companies producing butter are now creating fat-free versions, so you don’t have to forgo butter after all if you get the urge to enjoy it!
Take these handy tips into consideration within the context of a healthy, balanced diet, and you’re on your way to making a healthy lifestyle, your lifestyle!
To get advanced strategies go see you local 24 hour fitness trainer.
This site is dedicated to you and your continued success. Feel free to leave you thoughts and questions so we can get you answers to your burining questions.