As a personal trainer, the number one reason why people contact me for help is because they want to lose weight and get healthy. Today in 2010, people are getting fatter and with that, they’re getting sicker and more depressed because they don’t look and feel as great as they could.
The weight loss journey can seem like such an overwhelming challenge to people, particularly when it comes to the issue of exercise – and that’s when all the excuses come out.
By excuses, I’m talking about excuses NOT to exercise. People are often turned off by exercise, because they think it’s going to be painful and difficult. But it doesn’t have to be that way. That’s because the exercise most effective at burning calories and ultimately, fat, is cardio!
Cardio or cardiovascular exercise works the body – particularly the heart and lungs – to burn calories. In other words, it tells the excess fat you’re carrying to disappear completely! And the great thing about cardio exercise is that it includes such a wide range of fun, physical activities that will elevate your heart rate so you can burn a greater amount of fat.
Cardiovascular exercise activities include but are not limited to:
- Walking (outside or on a treadmill)
- Cycling (outside or on an exercise bike)
- Jogging (outside or on a treadmill)
By doing at least half an hour of cardiovascular exercise 5 days per week that gets you sweating moderately (this is good by the way), you will:
- Burn fat much more efficiently without the high intensity (associated with anaerobic exercise like sprinting and weights)
- Increase your metabolism which will help you burn more fat
- Increase your energy
- Increase your stamina
- Sleep better
- Recover quickly after exercise
- Cope with stress in a better way
- Feel happier and in control of moods
Get cardio working for you today, and remember what I said yesterday: it only takes 30 days to create a new habit. In short, start walking, swimming or jogging today